WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
One year since more than 700,000 Rohingya refugees fled to Bangladesh, WFP continues to provide lifesaving food assistance through in-kind distributions, e-vouchers, prevention and treatment of malnutrition while continuing essential support to vulnerable members of the host community.
At present WFP is supporting about 860,000 refugees through food assistance: 650,000 Rohingya refugees through in-kind (General Food Distribution/GFD) modality from 19 distribution points in 29 camps, meanwhile another 210,000 Rohingya refugees (including pre 2017 influx) receive eVouchers at WFP’s 18 assistance outlets. In the next six months, WFP will gradually transition beneficiaries from in-kind assistance to eVoucher modality.
Apart of regular food assistance, WFP also provides rapid food assistance to newly arriving refugees in transit centres with hot meals and a six-day ration of micronutrient fortified biscuits. Families relocated from high risk areas or displaced due to the monsoons, and protection referrals are also provided with a six-day ration of micronutrient fortified biscuits, then a dry food ration or cooked meals for two weeks.
The Senior Programme Associate will be responsible for operational support to the scale up of e-Voucher modality, land acquisition and establishment of new assistance outlets, lead SCOPE card distribution, field level coordination and monitoring of eVoucher intervention.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the overall guidance and supervision of Programme Officer (eVoucher), the Senior Programme Associate will be responsible for the following duties:
- Program Implementation:
- Provide technical support and assist in the management of eVoucher programme implementation.
- Coordinate and communicate with local partners, agencies, NGOs and government institutions to perform accurate food security analyses and to ensure efficient delivery of food assistance through eVoucher modality.
- Ensure Programme Assistants and Field Monitors undertake distribution monitoring and support their on-the job training and capacity development.
- In liaison with the Programme Officer and Head of CBT Unit, contribute in preparation for WFP missions to the camps through coordination with partners and other stakeholders.
- In coordination with the GFD cooperating partners and WFP CBT unit, support the operational transition of food assistance modality from in-kind (GFD) to eVoucher and/or cash modalities.
- Act as a point of contact for resolution of a range of operational queries and problems in relation to WFP’s SCOPE card distribution at field level.
- Maintain information records and monitoring plan documentation, such as records of commodity movements and programme checklists, in order to assist in the effective delivery and distribution of food items.
- Provide guidance for cooperating partners on WFP operational practices, monitoring tools and methods in order to support them to complete self-monitoring tasks and to contribute to the visibility of WFP in the coverage areas.
- Assure gender and protection concerns are mainstreamed and prioritized in distribution centres, monitor porter/volunteers’ support for extremely vulnerable families.
- Field Coordination
- Organize and facilitate regular meetings with cooperating partners; site management agency and camp in charges at camp levels; traders and financial service providers; and internal counterparts to gather feedback and comments to support programme reviews and improve services.
- Assist conducting regular meetings of beneficiaries, community leaders, refugee volunteers, food management committees, and cooperating partners on commodity pipeline, distribution arrangements, food entitlements and to discuss beneficiary complaints and feedback
Key Accountabilities (Continue...)
3. Monitoring and Complaints Feedback Management
- Receive and collate comments and feedback from cooperating partners, and beneficiaries, to support identifying programmatic issues with a view to fostering efficient operations.
- Consolidate help desk complaints at distribution points/eVoucher shops and referrals from site management agencies twice a week. With support from Programme Associate verify complaints, share feedback and action points with the cooperating partner and referring agencies.
- Report weekly to the WFP programme officer on relevant events and key concerns regarding food management, SCOPE card distribution and performance of cooperating partners.
- Compile monthly monitoring findings for all food assistance intervention, share with the food assistance team internally, and formulate follow up plans jointly with cooperating partners, traders and/or financial service providers.
- Perform any other tasks required in the context of the overall WFP operations in Cox's Bazar.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum Bachelor degree in Development Studies, Social Science, Humanities, or any relevant subject.
Minimum 4 years of relevant experience
Excellent written and oral/communications skills in both English and Bangla.
Fluency in oral Chittagonian/Rohingyan dialect highly desirable
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- The candidate should have at least two years of experience working in food and/or cash distribution.
- Preference will be given to candidates with operational experience in ongoing Rohingya refugee response, knowledge of site management and project monitoring is highly desirable.
- Working experience with MS Office package, KoBo Toolbox or other ODK-based platform is equally desired.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has participated in implementing technical programs (i.e. nutrition, etc.).
• Has implemented programmes with increased level of responsibility.
• Has provided input to policy discussions.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfil the needs of internal and external partners.
||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
|Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance
||Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.
|Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Vouchers)
||Demonstrates ability to analyse and consolidate quantitative and qualitative information from different sources (e.g., market studies) to inform transfer modality selection and programme development.
|Broad Knowledge of Specialized Areas
||Demonstrates the ability to interpret basic data in the context of WFP specialised fields to contribute to technical programme design, implementation and monitoring.
||Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.
|Strategic Policy Engagement w/Government
||Understands and applies basic principles of engagement with government counterparts at the national or local level.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Contract Type : Service Contract
Contract Duration : 12 months
Duty Station : Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Nationality : Bangladeshi only
Monthly Net Salary : BDT. 130,824
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
14 November 2018
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.