DSM – Bright Science. Brighter Living.™
Royal DSM is a purpose-led global science-based company in Nutrition, Health and Sustainable Living. DSM is driving economic prosperity, environmental progress and social advances to create sustainable value for all stakeholders. DSM delivers innovative business solutions for human nutrition, animal nutrition, personal care and aroma, medical devices, green products and applications, and new mobility and connectivity. DSM and its associated companies deliver annual net sales of about €10 billion with approximately 23,000 employees. The company is listed on Euronext Amsterdam. More information can be found at www.dsm.com.
The Large Capital Projects (LCP) department is the in-house Engineering organization of DSM managing capital projects and is integral to DSM achieving its strategic vision of continuing to evolve in Nutrition, Health and Sustainable living. To enhance the team and drive success, we are looking for a Project Controls Engineer
As part of the LCP department and assisting in building our core competencies, you will help develop and lead the estimation capabilities development for the department. This entails developing the plan, assessing options, presenting and getting alignment within the global LCP group and then making it happen. We are actively working to build best-in-class capabilities in project management and you will have the opportunity to shape your environment in this role.
In this position as Project Control Engineer on project assignments, you will have to effectively develop and control project cost estimates, schedules, budgets, progress, and risk mitigation of DSM’s capital projects in both early and execution phases. To do this, you will need the following skills:
- flexibility in your communication skills and able to manage internal and external parties
- ability to organize the work through the development of work break down structures
- have the foresight needed to execute an effective cost- and progress control.
- implement an effective report structure, including scope change control
- be able to manage competing priorities
- have the presence and ability to challenge and re-negotiate unrealistic expectations
The LCP department works globally and connectedly with hubs in Netherlands, Switzerland, US and China. The hubs leverage the knowledge and resources between groups. Being part of the LCP US hub will result in a focus on North American projects but global support, requests and team initiatives should be expected. Support requirements will definitely exist for South American projects as well (Brazil/Peru). Cultural sensitiveness will contribute to success.
Travel in this position will depend on project assignments but be significant and up to 50%. A valid passport is required.
DSM is sincere in its mission to lead by example in combatting climate change and has very aggressive plans for reducing its own GHGs by 30% in absolute terms by 2030. This is the way of the future and you can be a proud part of it.
The LPC department is in transition and will reach its end-state in the coming 3 – 5 years. In this role you can contribute in a significant way to the way this department will form.
Because DSM has wide range of Business Groups and therefore different technologies and work processes, the projects you will work on will be very diverse.
- Academic level: Bachelor’s degree in a technical science added with education and experience in project controls
- 5-10 years’ experience in similar industry
- Very good knowledge and experience with early phase estimating
- Able to be a Certified Cost Professional
- Basic understanding of chemical (Material/Life Science) processes.
- Basic understanding of mechanical, electrical and instrumentation (sub)-systems.
- Knowledge of construction techniques, practices and contracting.
- Sound abilities in project control techniques, project risk assessment, benchmarking, project control tools, practices and principles and lessons learned
- Good knowledge of financial control, cash flow forecasting, financial reporting and administration systems (e.g. SAP)
- You are comfortable working in an international matrix organization and you enjoy working with and managing different local/regional cultural backgrounds.
- Basic understanding of relevant production processes (food, (fine) chemical and/or pharmaceutical).
- Able to travel significantly
Working for DSM means the opportunity to really contribute to improve people’s lives and solving the challenges of today’s world. Challenging jobs, career opportunities and an inspiring environment allow you to enhance your personal development. DSM recognizes that the on-going success of the company depends on the continued development and engagement of our employees and pursues a fair and competitive remuneration policy, recognizing individual and team competencies and performance.
Procedure & Contact
Interested in this position? Please apply on-line by sending us your resume and cover letter via the career portal (www.dsm.com/careers).
Reference check procedures are part of the DSM Recruitment & Selection Process. You will be contacted when these references checks are required.
Royal DSM is an equal employment opportunity and
affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.