DSM – Bright Science. Brighter Living.
DSM is a global science-based company active in health, nutrition and materials. By connecting our unique competences in Life Sciences and Materials Sciences we are driving economic prosperity, environmental progress and social advances to create sustainable value for all stakeholders. We deliver innovative solutions that nourish, protect and improve performance in global markets such as food and dietary supplements, personal care, feed, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, automotive, paints, electrical and electronics, life protection, alternative energy and bio-based materials. Working for DSM means doing something meaningful; contributing to a better world.
Experience what it is like to work at one of the worldwide leaders in sustainability. You will be part of a dynamic workspace that offers you room to explore and grow. With locations in nearly 50 countries worldwide and with approximately 21,000 employees, this is the place for you to grow, reach your full potential and make a difference.
Within DSM, Risk Management is a profession. As in this fast-changing world, staying in control of the processes which are key for our businesses is more important than ever. As part of running our business we serve thousands of customers from hundreds of locations, we deal with thousands of suppliers and we have twenty-one thousand colleagues around the world. Keeping track of all this requires complex processes with extensive material, money and data & information flows.
In order to strengthen our Risk Management function (part of the function Finance), we are looking for a
Team Lead - Center of Excellence for Internal Controls (fulltime)
For the Group Services and Corporate Departments, the position is based in Hyderabad.
The role is to actively support and guide management in shaping the next level of Internal Controls at DSM. She/he will be actively involved in the set-up and development of DSM Center of Excellence (CoE), which will serve as a second line of defense (2nd LoD) in providing oversight, expertise and process improvements to the business. She/he will serve our internal customers comprising of Group Services which operate in different geographical areas. She/he will be part of Group Risk Management, reporting to the head of Risk Management for Cluster Group Services and Corporate Departments (GS & CD).
The role is to challenge business functions in the implementation and formalization of internal controls which are part of DSM’s Internal Control Framework (ICF). More specifically, she/he reviews of Standard Operating Procedures, internal control descriptions and work instructions, thereby providing feedback regarding the efficiency and effectiveness aspects of internal control execution. She/he will lead a team of 5 people that participate in complex testing and reporting of internal controls over the company's financial reporting process, as part of the 2nd Line of Defense of DSM.
The CoE Team Lead applies understanding of the principles and concepts of internal control frameworks to evaluate, test and report over internal controls. She/he also advises business functions in effective remediation of internal controls. In addition, she/he assists, when necessary, with research and analyses requested by management.
Work assignments are completed with minimal supervision from the head of Risk Management for GS & CD. Work is high in scope and complexity. Knowledge is applied to independently resolve routine and non-routine issues and provide project guidance and informal coaching to less experienced colleagues.
Set-up Center of Excellence (CoE):
- Manage, organize and train a team of 5 people to prepare for successful execution of 2nd LoD activities (risk assessment, materiality, testing the design and operating effectiveness, sampling, remediation, communication, reporting/dashboard, escalation, roles & responsibilities…)
- Translate DSM 2nd LoD methodology into practical procedures, protocols and templates in order to facilitate conducting 2nd LoD activities
- Play an active role in the ICF and 2nd LoD continuous improvement process. That includes the improvement of the control descriptions, the operating procedures and the detailed test scripts for each ICF control, as well as exploring the potential of automation in SAP GRC and other systems in scope
2nd LoD execution:
- Coordinate and conduct the timely execution of testing of controls in line with the Group’s 2nd LoD methodology and timeline
- Support the assessment of deficiencies and their underlying root causes
- Support and oversee the remediation and deficiency assessment process and proactively work with the Process and Control owners to establish proper remediation plans
- Monitor and guide management in the timely and sustainable remediation of deficiencies
- Ensure that the 2nd LoD methodology is strictly implemented and maintained
- Liaise with internal and external audit, being the main contact point for the ICF
- Support process reviews to identify sustainable control improvements
- Provide dashboard on the design and operating effectiveness of internal controls to the Risk Management Cluster for discussion and monitoring during the risk committees of the relevant processes (Finance, Sourcing/Procurement, Information Systems and HR)
- Support and guide local management in the design, development and maintenance of effective risk and control management practices
- Support and educate all levels of local organization on the importance of risks and controls
- Establish constant and transparent communication with the head of Risk Management for Group Services and Corporate Departments on relevant matters
- Support process design enhancements to standardize processes and controls (in coordination with Global Process Owners) to simplify and rationalize the control environment
- Perform quality reviews to ensure high quality risk awareness and control execution
- Deliver periodic training and expertise to process and control owners to ensure successful execution of roles and responsibilities
- Participate in global risk management and internal controls initiatives and projects
We are looking for an ambitious and talented team player with:
- 10 to 15 years of proven experience in ICF and 2nd LoD design and implementation in similar environment (listed companies, for shared service centers)
- Financial auditing experience (preferably within a Big 4 audit firm)
- Relevant university education (i.e. CA, CPA) or equivalent
- Information Systems qualification (i.e. CISA, CISM) is a plus
- Solid understanding of internal controls methodology, auditing practices and accounting standards
- Strong experience working in a large matrix organization
- Sound working knowledge of SAP ERP system
- Service-oriented mindset; solid commitment to quality and continuous improvement – can do attitude
- People management skills
- Strong communication skills - both written and oral
- Strong intercultural skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills with the ability to independently draw conclusions
- High degree of flexibility
- Problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to effectively work under pressure and within tight deadlines
- Courage to confront difficult issues with the appropriate response
- Good business knowledge and working experience in the area of process improvements
- Fluent in English (spoken and written)
- Good project management and coordination skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence both internally and externally
- Travel to the Netherlands approximatively 10%
DSM's wide diversity of disciplines makes it possible to offer employees a great variety of roles throughout their career. For instance, you may start your career in an area related to your education/qualifications, but your future is what you make of it. At DSM we stimulate people to determine their own career path and we encourage international careers. We strive to be an Employer of Choice and ensure that our employees are nurtured and given the opportunity to develop their talents. To learn more about DSM’s HR vision and policy, please visit our website at www.dsm.com/career.
The DSM Recruitment and Selection Process is in line with the general procedure outlined on our website: www.dsm.com/corporate/careers
Please apply on-line and send your CV & cover letter in English and include information on your current remuneration.
Royal DSM is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Royal DSM and its associated companies deliver annual net sales of about €10 billion with approximately 23,000 employees. The company is listed on Euronext. For more information about DSM see http://www.dsm.com or connect on