18121 | OTP - Registry
|Deadline for Applications:
||Language Services Section, Registry or Language Services Unit, Office of the Prosecutor
|Type of Appointment:
|Minimun Annual Salary:
Payment is based on daily rate (comparable to G-7 level), calculated according to duty station
Freelance service contracts of variable length
A roster of freelance field interpreters, consisting of speakers of the relevant situation languages, will be established as a result of this selection process.
Once accredited, freelance field interpreters may be offered service contracts to provide consecutive interpretation services either in the field or at Headquarters, according to the operational needs of the different sections and units of the Court.
Scope of Services:
Freelance Field Interpreters will provide interpretation services for either the Language Services Section of the Registry or the Language Services Unit of the Office of the Prosecutor, according to the demands of their respective clients.
The Freelance Field Interpreters will be expected to:
- Provide complete and accurate interpretation during missions to the field or in support of operations at Headquarters;
- Use appropriate techniques and strategies to support consecutive interpretation;
- Prepare glossaries of situation language terminology appropriate to the assigned tasks;
- Perform other language tasks as required, for example sight translation tasks;
- Work in accordance with the ethics and norms of the interpreting profession;
Mother tongue-speaker level proficiency in the situation language mentioned in the announcement, namely Kirundi, is a pre-requisite. Proficiency in French is also required. Proficiency in English would be an asset.
The Freelance Field Interpreters should ideally, though not necessarily:
- Hold a university degree in modern foreign languages, linguistics, translation or interpretation
- Hold a professional qualification in translation and interpretation
- Have previous experience as an interpreter, particularly in community / public service settings
Successful candidates must:
- Possess the ability to work as part of a team
- Demonstrate flexibility
- Possess basic computer and information technology skills; and
- Be available to travel at short notice, on occasions;
Short-listed candidates will be invited to take the ICC accreditation test consisting of an interview and an interpretation test.
Accreditation is subject to obtaining the necessary security clearance. Successful candidates will then be placed in a pool of Accredited Field Interpreters who may be deployed as needed. Accredited Field Interpreters are deployed depending on their suitability for a particular assignment, based on their personal and linguistic profile, as well as the objectives of said mission. If suitable for deployment, Field Interpreters will then be contracted on a freelance basis for the duration of the mission.
NB: The Court reserves the right to prioritise field interpretation candidates on the basis of the operational needs and security constraints of the situation under examination.
ICC Core Competencies
Dedication to the mission and values
- Acts consistently in accordance with the mission and values of the Organisation;
- Maintains confidentiality, acts with integrity and shows respect for diversity;
- Shows commitment to the organisation;
- Presents a positive image of the organisation during external discussions.
- Applies professional and technical expertise;
- Keeps abreast of organisational issues;
- Produces workable solutions to a range of problems;
- Listens, consults and communicates proactively;
- Handles disagreements with tact and diplomacy;
- Recognises and rewards the contribution of others;
Learning and developing
- Identifies development strategies needed to achieve work and career goals and makes use of developmental or
- Learns from successes and failures;
- Seeks feedback and gives feedback to others to increase organisational effectiveness;
- Seeks opportunities for improvement of work;
- Has an open mind and contributes to innovation.
Handling uncertain situations
- Adapts to changing circumstances;
- Deals with ambiguity, making positive use of the opportunities it presents;
- Plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances;
- Manages time effectively.
- Expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly;
- Handles contacts with diplomacy and tact;
- Communicates in a transparent and open way with internal and external contacts while complying with
- Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm;
- Keeps to agreements with others;
- Focuses on client needs;
- Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people;
- Monitors and maintains quality and productivity
- The selected candidate will be subject to a Security Clearance process in accordance with ICC policy. The security clearance process will include but will not be limited to, verification of the information provided in the personal history form and a criminal record check. All candidates should be in a position to submit an electronic copy of their passport and all diplomas listed on their profile when requested;
- Applicants may check the status of vacancies on ICC E-Recruitment web-site;